Wednesday, June 11, 2008


The announcement of the upcoming expansion does indeed change things a bit. For one, it means I have to consider what this does to my release schedule. I have to juggle the pros and cons of delaying production on Crusaders of Shalihir a bit to incorperate the new features of SoZ (Such as the Overland Map and assorted Chult Jungle apparel.

I can see pros and cons to both sides of this one. If I treat this like Ruins of Kazatharis, then I release it just before the release of the expansion pack to give those who don't have the expansion yet something to do. I could also treat it like Beneath the Hearleforne which was tailored around the material contained within the expansion.

One of my biggest concerns is hak compatibility and what may be effected by the expansion. That is the one driving force in my head that tells me to hold off until all the cards are on the table.

If I had to guess (I honestly haven't looked into this one yet), I would put SoZ release late fall/holiday shopping time. Which really wouldn't shift back production that much. I could continue to work on Crusaders of Shalihir, touch-up/test/verify post-expansion, then get to work on part IV (which has already undergone some script changes due to this news).

I'm thinking that may be the best way to go.


Amraphael said...

I'm going through the same thoughts myself. Am I going to wait with the release until the expansion is out and see if there's anything useful in it and if it affect my custom content? It would be great to read about your decisions and ideas behind them as the expansion get closer.

E.C.Patterson said...

For my part, and for no very concrete reason, I'm thinking I'd rather release ItFR sometime before NX2 comes out. I'm feeling player expectations may be raised a bit higher once the expansion comes out. And I think community mods may go a bit unnoticed for a while after NX2's release. I don't expect to hold back release for the new content, except if I learn of something that really would make ItFR better.

That said, ItFR could come out first if NX2 is released in November, but it might be hard if it's in September, say.

Raith Veldrin said...

My biggest concern is that I am trying to compile a hakpak that is compatible with both this and the following release. I don't want to bloat it too much, so if SoZ=Yuan-Ti=Snakes; I don't have to throw in the NWN1 port.

I agree standards will change once SoZ has sunk in, and release time is critical to the consideration. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out, because it definately gave us all something to think about.

Design Documents: